Core Thematic Areas of Work:
- Service Delivery
- Treatment Literacy
- Treatment Advocacy for all PLHIV
- Campaigning against ARV stock-outs, free trade agreements that threaten generic access
- Filing patent oppositions on HIV & Hep-C medicines.
- Support Group Meeting
- Address Verification
- Arranging Marriage for PLHIV Community(Marriage Agency!)
- Assisting and linking to Legal Aid, Social entitlements and Schemes
At the XIX International AIDS conference held in Washington, DC in 2012, DNP+ received the Red Ribbon Award in the advocacy and human rights category. The award recognized its continuous and determined support for free antiretroviral treatment, strong campaigning on issues of intellectual property rights to ensure on-going access to affordable treatment and for its work in improving the lives of people living with HIV.
Successes in the Past:
- DNP+ with APN+ played a central role in organizing delegations of PLHIV representatives from Asian countries for the 2011 mass rally in Delhi on the FTA.
- DNP+ today has over 1300 members and is democratically governed by 7 board members who are all PLHIV.
- DNP+ provides a platform to help empower patients to make informed treatment decisions at every stage of the HIV trajectory. Over the years their work has grown and expanded from a support group to service delivery and advocating human rights.
- DNP+ staff members visit HIV testing centres in Delhi to make sure that PLHIV receive peer support and counselling. DNP+ staff also personally escort newly diagnosed PLHIV to the nearby ART clinic, for registration, diagnostic check-up and treatment. In 2010 DNP+ referred 269 persons.
- In 2010, 137 address verifications and 112 ARV drop out cases were followed up.
- A DNP+ treatment literacy booklet in English and Hindi has been distributed in 1000s at health centres, ART centres, public places. In 2010 approximately 584 phone calls were received.
- In 2010, 7 ARV support group meetings were organized in which 195 members participated, 17 support meetings were organized in which 702 members participated and 1283 PLHIV were counselled.
- A silent 27-hour sit-in protest was done at the offices of the National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) over the stock out of ARV Drugs in Bihar & Uttar Pradesh on 20 May 2010 by all DNP+ staff along with 2 members of Uttar Pradesh network, after which the drug supply was restored.